2.5

For the 1 year I have had mediacom I have received "2" Copyright infringement notices and have not downloaded or shared anything under copyright and my network is completely locked down. I find it appalling that mediacom would send me a claim without investigating it first since I have no need for whatever I supposedly shared and have no idea what it actually was. I have read the policy on the website and it says that after 3 I could be permanently disconnected even though the first two notices are not true.

When I received the first notice I had called the DCMA team to explain that I have no idea what it is that they claim I am sharing and that I have no use for whatever it is, also let them know that there is no need to remove the files since I have never had them. I also let the rep know that my network is tighter than a nuns butt hole so I know that no one else used my network to download it.

The rep continued to let me know that it is my responsibility and that there is nothing he can do, So pretty much I am guilty until proven innocent which is ***. He then continued to let me know that I shouldn't worry about it since it was just the first notice and as long as I don't share copyright material I will be just fine. So I took his word on it and since I don't share copyright material I went on thinking I would be fine.

I then received another one which would be strike 2 even though I again didn't share anything.

This time talking to a rep told me again there was nothing he could do, but I could submit a counter claim if I wanted expressing that I thought it was an error and that I didn't have the files. He then explained that submitting a counter claim would supply my personal information to the copyright claimant and it would be their responsibility to continue response about the counter claim. Documentation says that submitting a counter claim allows the copyright claimant to use your information to files a law suit against you. This system seems so messed up and unfair to the people whom use your service, since if you don't send in a counter claim mediacom will assume your guilty and disconnect your service, and if you do submit a counter claim then they give your information to the copyright claimant that I assume would be worse than mediacom and would rather sue even if they may have messed up rather than apologize for screwing up.

This also causes a problem that if someone had hacked my network and used it to share a bunch of copyright files I would be disconnected without any knowledge of the infringement at all and there is a possibility that I could get sued.

I am a network engineer it's pretty easy to *** a secured network, making the person who pays for the connection responsible instead of the person who actually did it is like saying that if someone steals my gun and I didn't know they stole it and then committed murder I am guilty of killing that person even though I am not in possession of that gun.

This reviewer shared experience about poor customer service and wants this business to offer any options to resolve the issue. The author is overall dissatisfied with Mediacom. The most disappointing about copyright infringement notice from Mediacom was how poor customer service is, no one resolves the problem and issue was not resolved Reviewer wants customer support to reach out to him or her ASAP for further discussion of this matter.

Also, you can continue reading comments about Mediacom.

Check out the best and the worst companies in Telecommunications category for more informed decision or compare Mediacom to other companies on our site.

Comments

MediacomSupport
Des Moines, Iowa, United States #940009

Hey ak_882002,

I'm sorry to hear about the experience you received regarding the DMCA issue. We'd love to assist you with any questions or issues you may have.

Feel free to send us an email at socialmediateam@mediacomcc.com with your account information and a brief description of your issue or question. You can also contact us on our support forums http://www.mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport.

Thanks,