Let me start by saying that I have been a loyal customer for three years now, although not by choice. I live in a very rural area and Mediacom is the only provider available that offers the internet speeds that I need. Their service has been spotty for the past several months and hasn't improved, but I still don't have any other options. Because there are no other options they charge astronomical fees. Both AT&T and Verizon offer the same speeds at half the price; just not in my area.

I am a single mom who lives paycheck to paycheck. I commute over 100 miles a day to service the needs of the community and my work week averages 50-60 hours. On top of that I do college online.

I cannot afford to take my children to the movies or out to dinner. I also had to give up cable tv due to the ridiculous high price Mediacom charges for basic cable, and now use Roku.

Being a Mediacom customer for three years now, and a struggling single mom, I most often pay my Mediacom bill late, but have never not paid my bill. The Internet service I have with Mediacom costs me an average of $80 a month. I know, ridiculous right? $80 a month just for Internet? What choice do I have? In order to offer my children tv entertainment, in order for my daughter to do her homework, and in order for me to do my college classes I have to juggle my bills to try and make it work.

I had a Mediacom bill recently for $191 and some change. About two weeks ago I paid $150 leaving $41 and some change remaining. I have been in jury duty this week and when I got home Thursday evening my service had been disconnected. I had $50 left in my account until payday and so I called and paid $42. When I spoke to a customer service rep she advised that I would have to pay $81.85 that is due on October 12th, as well as a $29.99 reconnect fee and an additional unexplained $30 fee. On top of that they wouldn't be able to reconnect service until the 8th. I have assignments due this weekend and couldn't wait until the 8th, so I tried to find another provider to no avail. I bit the bullet the next day, Friday (my pay day)and called to reconnect. The customer service rep I spoke with this time advised that due to being disconnected, I am no longer eligible to the 150 Mbps I had at $70 per month plus tax and other fees, I would now have to pay $95 per month plus tax and other fees. Are you kidding me? No way!

So now I have 50 Mbps for $59.99 plus tax and other fees and am not eligible to a discount for 6 months. I had to pay an additional total of about $135 for everything and still have to wait until the 8th to be reconnected. There goes my grocery shopping. I only caved because I don't have a choice in the middle of a class. I don't even know if 50 Mbps will work for me. At least it is monthly because you can bet when another provider becomes available I will no longer be a Mediacom customer.

Intermittent service that is not acknowledged by Mediacom; no discounts applied when the service is out. Astronomical prices that are double what other providers charge because Mediacom is the only provider in this area; and ridiculous wait times to be connected. You are definitely not customer oriented. You take advantage of lower income rural areas. You can bet that I am going to share this horrible experience with everyone.

Any response you give needs to directed to my email because you also removed my account.

Product or Service Mentioned: Mediacom Internet Service.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Comments