Update by user Nov 17, 2012

Update to getting cablecard to work. After my initial post I was contacted by e-mail by Mediacom\'s social media team.

I did have several e-mails back and forth with them. E-mail seems to be the best way to work with tech support if you can resolve the problem without a service call or phone calls. They were responsive very quickly and in general were able to answer questions and troubleshoot. I did have a tech come out to check things out.

It took until November 1st to get one of the 30 minute windows and I will give them credit that they did come within the time frame. The tech replaced some connectors which did improve signal and picture quality but wasn\'t really to up on cablecards. It appears things are working as they should and we will wait and see how the conversion to digital goes.

Because of the social media teams responses I would raise the overall grade to a \"C\" regarding this problem. It could have been higher if the time frame had been shorter from start to finish.

Original review posted by user Oct 17, 2012

First, it took almost two weeks to get an appointment. This was done over the phone for installation of a cablecard. I was advised that it would require a technician visit. Time was to be scheduled between 1 and 4 but I specifically told the person it would need to be after 4:00. She advised it would be noted to the technician for closer to 5:00 which was fine. I gave them two phone numbers, including my cell. At 3:15 I checked the home phone for messages and found one from Mediacom at 3:11. I immediately called them back and waited over 5 minutes on hold with unbelievable loud music to listen to. When a technician responded I explained to him what had happened and that I was told to expect the tech between 4 and 5:00. I further advised I wanted the technician to call back and I would be available. He told me he would need to get a foreman and placed me on hold for another ten minutes before getting back and telling me there was nothing he could do and I'd need to reschedule. I asked to speak to a supervisor, was placed on hold for another 20 minutes and finally hung up. On a chance I stopped by the local mediacom store and asked them if I could self-install a cablecard. They said yes, contradicting what I was told two weeks ago and had a cablecard I took with me. I installed it in minutes but ran into some confusion about channel setup. I had to call tech support, spoke to a tech and was advised the would send an initialization signal and that it should take only a few minutes. I waited about 5 minutes and restarted the TIVO and TV. Some channels ere present but still confused. I called again and actually finally talked to a tech (Brandon) who actually knew what he was talking about. He explained what I needed to know. When I told him about the signal that was sent he took a look and said actually it hadn't been sent. He sent it while I was on the phone and I think it is now set up as it should be. So lets see here:

1: Took almost two weeks to even get an appointment

2: Told them needed arrival time between 4:00-5:00. They agreed but arrived at 3:11

3: Gave them two phone numbers to check. They checked only one

4: Was told installation required a technician visit. It did not.

5: Tech Support said they would sent a start up signal to the TV/TIVO- They did not

6: Finally actually got a hold of a technician that was understandable and understood my problem.

7: Way to much time on hold. No one empowered to resolve the issue.

This was a totally unacceptable customer service experience. What happened to those 30 minute windows they so heavily advertised. When I asked about that I was told they were all filled. What! It honestly might be time to check out DISH or DIRECT. I'm concerned about what unresolved problems will arise next month when they convert to all digital signals here

Product or Service Mentioned: Mediacom Installation.

Comments

I am glad that you were able to get the cablecard working properly, though it should definitely not have taken that much trouble. If you have any future issues or questions regarding your service please send me an email with your phone number or account number to SocialMediaTeam@mediacomcc.com.

-James