3.1
Coverage Area
Style and Design

I pay $100 a month for a 1 gigabit connection (fiber-to-home), which basically means they run cable from a fiber optic node so it's supposed to be as fast as true fiber-optic (which I had at my old apartment). My skepticism wasn't misplaced.

Unfortunately, Mediacom is the only provider in my area that offers any kind of super high speed internet, and once you have fiber optic once you won't want to go back to regular cable or satellite internet ever again. The fiber optic connection at my old apartment was $70/month for a 1 gigabit connection (averaging 800-900 megabits even during peak hours) with no data cap. My 1 gigabit connection through Mediacom costs $90 a month and speed varies widely throughout the day with no rhyme or reason, and the connection is very unstable. I have to power-cycle my router when I wake up, when I get home from work, and 2-3 times before I head to bed.

The speed varies so drastically that I can't stream high def Youtube videos or even play Agario, let alone my go-to MMOs. I get anywhere between 12 and 150 megabits on a 1 gigabit wired connection. And yes, I'm using cat6 cables and a gigabit ethernet port.

It's just a bad connection and I'm going to make a serious complaint about false advertising. You never expect to get the full speed with any internet package you purchase, but 15% top speed of what I paid for + bad reliability is nowhere near acceptable.

Review about: Mediacom Internet Service.

Reason of review: Not as described.

I liked: Customer service.

I didn't like: Reliability, Not getting anywhere near what i paid for.

Comments

I do not have speeds as fast as you, but I do have the 200 service as they explained "the higher the service, the higher the priority to your home". I din't believe it, but I pay it anyways.

I work online so it is crucial, especially teh upload. Well it will drop to near 0 for a day or two. Every time I call they tell me they can see its my modem and I should return it for a new one or they can send a tech out. The tech arrives and says the modem is fine...

So what is the issue? Just spinning stories!