3.1
Coverage Area
Style and Design

I pay $100 a month for a 1 gigabit connection (fiber-to-home), which basically means they run cable from a fiber optic node so it's supposed to be as fast as true fiber-optic (which I had at my old apartment). My skepticism wasn't misplaced.

Unfortunately, Mediacom is the only provider in my area that offers any kind of super high speed internet, and once you have fiber optic once you won't want to go back to regular cable or satellite internet ever again. The fiber optic connection at my old apartment was $70/month for a 1 gigabit connection (averaging 800-900 megabits even during peak hours) with no data cap. My 1 gigabit connection through Mediacom costs $90 a month and speed varies widely throughout the day with no rhyme or reason, and the connection is very unstable. I have to power-cycle my router when I wake up, when I get home from work, and 2-3 times before I head to bed.

The speed varies so drastically that I can't stream high def Youtube videos or even play Agario, let alone my go-to MMOs. I get anywhere between 12 and 150 megabits on a 1 gigabit wired connection. And yes, I'm using cat6 cables and a gigabit ethernet port.

It's just a bad connection and I'm going to make a serious complaint about false advertising. You never expect to get the full speed with any internet package you purchase, but 15% top speed of what I paid for + bad reliability is nowhere near acceptable.

Review about: Mediacom Internet Service.

Reason of review: Not as described.

I liked: Customer service.

I didn't like: Reliability, Not getting anywhere near what i paid for.

Comments

I've had Mediacom for the better part of a year at this point. I never get anywhere near the speed I'm supposed to be getting and even less for about 2-3 days after a heavy storm.

They constantly sent technicians out for the better part of 6 months. Claiming everything from "noise in the lines" to faulty equipment. Each and every time the technician would replace the wiring and the equipment. Only for the same garbage to happen within a month.

Even putting in a ticket to have someone come out and check the drops. Only to find out from another technician that the technologically illiterate moron that is the head of tech support at the local Mediacom office doesn't even know how to check is own company email and that the few times he's managed to check it, he just deletes the request and never schedules anyone to actually do the work. While Mediacom may be just as cancerous as Time Warner and ComCast, you need to understand it's not always about corporate greed.

Sometimes it's about hiring unqualified imbeciles. The rest of the time it is just them being greedy.

I do not have speeds as fast as you, but I do have the 200 service as they explained "the higher the service, the higher the priority to your home". I din't believe it, but I pay it anyways.

I work online so it is crucial, especially teh upload. Well it will drop to near 0 for a day or two. Every time I call they tell me they can see its my modem and I should return it for a new one or they can send a tech out. The tech arrives and says the modem is fine...

So what is the issue? Just spinning stories!